How To Care For Your Donkeys
Donkeys have their own special care needs. Although there's many similarities to keeping horses. Donkeys and mules are different. They have different health needs, including footcare. But it's possible to keep your donkey using a holistic approach. With donkeys being able to enjoy a range of complementary therapies, just like other animals.
As I've had the pleasure of keeping donkeys for nearly 20 years, I adore donkeys. And hope the five top tips below help you to help your donkey!
Here's five top tips to caring for your donkeys naturally.
- Worming. Starting your list with a basic equine need, a worming management programme is essential for donkeys and mules. Don't use chemical wormers unless you have absolutely no alternative. Instead always complete regular worm counts. (Your veterinary surgeon can do this, or a company like Westgate Labs). If worming is required, as a first choice use a natural product for intestinal good health like Verm-X. Rather than immediately choosing a chemical wormer. Get more information on holistic worming at my advice page.
- Massage. Why massage a donkey even if he or she isn't ridden/driven? Donkeys get strains like any other equine. They play in the field, roll and sit down/get up regularly. So by letting your donkey have a regular massage it can help him/her feel well, happy and pain-free. If you'd like help finding a massage therapist for your donkey, please email me at info at taranet .co.uk. Or you can complete an equine massage for owner's workshop and massage your donkey yourself. This will increase bonding and happiness! For more information on equine massage visit my advice page here.
- Bach Flower Remedies. There are 38 different remedies. All researched to help different emotions. Your donkey will sometimes feel stressed, anxious or excited. For different reasons. Understanding your donkey will help determine which remedy will help. They're natural. They can seem so minute it's a wonder they work. But they do! You can get more help on these remedies at my advice page here. And if you'd like help locating a practitioner please email me at info at taranet co.uk
- Homeopathy This is natural medicine. There are dozens of different homeopathic remedies that can be used to help donkeys. (And also other animals). Veterinary homeopathy can be used to help with skincare, respiratory, gastro-intestinal, musculoskeletal or emotional ailments. You can find veterinary surgeon's who've specialised in homeopathy around the world. For help finding a qualified veterinary homeopath, you can email me. Get more information on veterinary homeopathy here.
- Reiki. This therapy can help your donkey feel less scared (e.g. by a veterinary or farriery visit if they don't like it), help your donkey cope with feeling unwell, or just settle into a new home. It's an energy therapy that's been used for hundreds if not thousands of years. You can find reiki therapists who've specialised in working with animals. You can get more information on reiki, by visiting my advice page here.
Remember any complementary therapy is just that, complementary. And not to be used as an alternative to professional veterinary advice and treatment. A professionally qualified therapist will always want to get your veterinary surgeon's permission before working with your donkey. Most veterinary surgeon's will give permission if they think it can help your donkey! As i've mentioned above, many veterinary surgeon's also specialise in complementary medicine. E.g. veterinary homeopaths (plus others).
If you've any questions on caring for your donkey holistically. Or would like help locating a specialist Veterinary Surgeon or complementary therapist. Please email me at info at taranet.co.uk